SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2023
SITE: Pennington Field, Bedford, Texas
– Randy Greenwell – Music
– Allan Kristensen – Music
– Max Mullinix – Music
– John Phillips – Music
– Greg Llacer – Visual
– Randy Nelson – Visual
– Robert Solomon – Visual
– Lauren Teel – Percussion
– Douglas Henderson – Color Guard
- Before buying: See Pennington Field bag policy
- Tickets are mobile. All sales final. No refunds. No exchanges.
- General admission: $15 All-Day / $10 Prelims-only / $10 Finals-only
- Seniors 60 and older: $ 10 All-Day / $8 Prelims-only / $8 Finals-only
- A processing fee will be applied
- If unable to purchase online see a contest official onsite.
- Children 6 and under: Free all day
PHOTO AND RECORDING POLICIES
Still cameras are allowed and may be used from stadium seating. Video recording is not permitted, with the exception of the Band Video Designee (see Director Information packet).
TIMING AND MOVEMENT
Band warm-up lasts 45 minutes. Pit warm-up lasts 30 minutes. We plan 10 minutes of travel time to the entry gate. 4 minutes prior to start time you will be released to the field for set-up/warm-up. You have 15 minutes total to enter, perform and exit the field. No minimum time requirement. Consult the Contest Map for field entry-exit information.
ADJUDICATION AND SCORING
Nine adjudicators critique all components of the performance and make constructive comments in an effort to promote improvement and solidify achievement.
Seven judges determine total score. The weight of the numbers places 60% of the value on music and 40% on visual, as well as 60% on general effect and 40% on performance. Each judge is assigned a specific area of focus. Ensemble and general effect judges are located at a vantage point from above. Individual performance judges are located on the field.
Percussion and color guard are critiqued by specialists focusing on those components, separate from the band as a whole. Their numbers determine placement within caption only and are not part of the total score
The top 12 scoring bands from prelims advance to finals, regardless of classification. Performance order takes place according to random draw by the participating band directors. The top 6 scoring bands from prelims will receive the last 6 slots in finals. Class Champions from prelims will perform in finals exhibition, should they not be among the top 12 scoring bands.
FINALS TICKETS FOR NON-FINALIST BANDS
If your band does not advance, but you wish to attend as a group, complimentary admission can be provided for your students.
Bands may elect to perform in prelims-only, for recorded comments from our panel of nine music, visual, percussion and color guard judges, and experience in the venue. Exhibition bands are recognized at the prelims awards ceremony and are provided with a high block of reserved group seating to observe finals. Exhibition bands are also eligible for the Sunday Clinics. Exhibition Option details.
SUNDAY CLINICS (available to the first 10 bands to opt-in)
The HEB Marching Contest offers director clinics with members of our judging panel. These one-hour sessions take place Sunday morning, affording you the opportunity to review aspects of your previous day’s performance with members of our music and visual panels in a private setting. Clinics are available to the first 10 bands to opt-in, and cost $300.* Sunday Clinic details.
Recognition award for all bands
Outstanding Color Guard in each class
Outstanding Percussion in each class
Outstanding Music in each class
Outstanding Visual in each class
Outstanding General Effect in each class
3rd, 2nd place in each class
Contest Champion in each class
Outstanding Color Guard in Finals
Outstanding Percussion in Finals
Outstanding Music in Finals
Outstanding Visual in Finals
Outstanding General Effect in Finals
5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd place trophies
Grand Champion trophy
ENROLLMENT AND SCHEDULING
- Last year’s champion receives choice of performance time
- Last year’s top 5 finalists receive afternoon performance times
- Bands enrolled more than five weeks before the event will be scheduled by random draw
- Bands enrolled within five weeks of the event will receive the latest available time prior to random draw
- We will consider irregular scheduling needs (other same-day performance, etc.) on a case by case basis if you notify us by August 1. Beyond that date we can work to assist you, but may ask you to make contact with directors of any groups that would be displaced and secure their consent to a schedule change.
FURTHER INFO AND DETAILS